Friday, November 21, 2008

Every now and then miracles...


I work at a school. Brown School. It's a middle school filled with awkward, lanky and charming fifth and sixth graders. A beautiful boy from Trinidad is my charge - an 11-year old who loves Shamu, Batman, and Scooby Doo. He's also autistic. He's smart, funny, clever, endearing, and completely inept socially. In science class today the students played microbe board games they had created. Fortunately my student was placed with two very, very nice boys. They quickly understood that he didn't quite understand how to play the game, nor did he know any of the answers. Rather than complain that the game had become a burden, they found that they could conjure a smile from my student by offering rather obvious clues to the answers -- so much so that the game ended with my student winning by a landslide. I guess some sixth graders get it. Maybe the future holds some promise. Jake and Kevin are my heroes today.

No comments: